Built between 1893 and 1895 for $87,000, Harrison County Courthouse was designed by architects Frank Packard and Joseph W. Yost. Located on Market Street in the county seat of Cadiz, the building houses Harrison County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions, as well as Harrison County Municipal Court.
Harrison County was named for Gen. William Henry Harrison, who spent most of his military career in the county after being commissioned into the U.S. Army and stationed in the Northwest Territory. In 1841, he was inaugurated as the ninth U.S. president and served from March 4 to April 4 before dying of pneumonia just 31 days into his term. Harrison also was the first U.S. president elected from Ohio.
In 1974, the courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2014, Harrison County Commissioners selected Kalkreuth Roofing and Sheet Metal Inc., Wheeling, W.Va., to assess the courthouse's EPDM membrane and 122-year-old slate roof system for wear.