A case of honorable roofing
United Materials renovates the Byron R. White U.S. Courthouse's roof systems
The Byron R. White U.S. Courthouse in Denver is an excellent example of neoclassical architecture that dominated federal building designs at the turn of the 20th century. Currently the seat of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, the 244,000-square-foot building's four stories and two basement levels occupy an entire city block.
Set on a pedestal and surrounded by sidewalks, the courthouse is clad in white Colorado Yule Marble. The front exterior is faced with a three-story portico of 16 Ionic columns; the other three sides feature pilasters with Ionic capitals and the national coat of arms. Barrel-vaulted ceilings and notable artwork, including a pair of limestone Rocky Mountain sheep sitting at the southwest entrance, create a dramatic display of architecture and history.
Completed between 1910 and 1916, the building also houses a post office. The frieze above the main entrance has city names symbolizing the flow of mail across the U.S. The solid marble walls on either side of the colonnade are inscribed with the names of former U.S. postmasters general. Inscribed on wall piers are Pony Express riders' names, including Buffalo Bill Cody, an important part of U.S. Postal Service history.
In 1973, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1994, it was dedicated the Byron R. White U.S. Courthouse in recognition of a man whose contributions as a Supreme Court justice made a lasting impression. In 2011, United Materials LLC, Denver, made significant roof system repairs to the courthouse.
Register now for free access
- Full access to every article
- Online Web exclusive information
- Photo gallery
- Breaking news
- Online classified ads