The Clifford Davis Federal Building, Memphis, Tenn., was constructed in the 1970s and named for Clifford Davis, a politician who served as a Memphis city judge from 1923-27, Memphis' vice mayor and public safety commissioner from 1928-40, and a Democratic U.S. representative from 1940-65.
On Jan. 31, 2007, H.R. 753 was introduced to redesignate the building as the Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building to honor Judge Odell Horton's significant contributions to Memphis' legal community.
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), which constructs, manages and preserves government buildings—including the Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building—received $5.5 billion in funds from The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which the GSA is using to reduce energy consumption in its buildings, improve the environmental performance of its real estate inventory, reduce its backlog of repair and maintenance needs, and increase its overall value. The Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building is one of the buildings that received funding for repairs and renovations. Part of these repairs included replacing the building's existing roof system.
APEX3 Construction, Mobile, Ala., the project's general contractor, invited Jessie Bryant Roofing, Memphis, to submit a bid for the project's reroofing portion.