A perfect project
F.J.A. Christiansen Roofing reroofs Milwaukee City Hall
One of Milwaukee's most visible and historic landmarks is Milwaukee City Hall, which was designed by architect Henry H. Koch and dedicated in December 1895. With its 353-foot-tall bell tower, which houses a 22,000-pound bell and four clock faces, Milwaukee City Hall was the U.S.' tallest habitable building from 1895-99; it was surpassed by New York's Ivins Syndicate Building, now known as the Park Row Building.
Milwaukee City Hall's German Renaissance Revival design, which can be seen primarily in its curved gable dormers, steep-slope copper roof, circular cupola with balustrade and lantern capping, and terra cotta ornamentation, is a prominent reminder of Milwaukee's large population of German immigrants during the late 1800s.
The City Hall also was the focus of socialism in Milwaukee: In 1910, it was the setting for the largest socialist victory ever registered in a U.S. city when Emil Seidel and a majority Socialist Common Council took office for a short time period.
Milwaukee City Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and named a National Historic Landmark in 2005.
Register now for free access
- Full access to every article
- Online Web exclusive information
- Photo gallery
- Breaking news
- Online classified ads