As I was saying
The Alliance: a force in the industry
Seventeen years ago, a handful of visionary roofing industry leaders saw the need to establish an organization that could involve all industry segments to develop education, training and research programs for everyone's benefit.
The organization they created is The Roofing Industry Alliance for Progress. Its original goal was to establish a permanent endowment fund of $6 million and use investment income to support programs that were not, as yet, identified. During its first year in operation, the Alliance secured commitments totaling more than $8 million and was on its way.
Investment income, of course, can be a tricky thing. It dried up after the financial crisis of 2008-09, but recently the Alliance has regained its financial footing, has added new members and is preparing to embark on a number of important new projects. These include:
- Supporting the RoofPoint™ program developed by the Center for Environmental Innovation in Roofing, which helps roof system designers and owners understand the important role roof systems play in energy and environmental issues
- Developing relationships with construction management schools to help recruit talent and be sure students have the opportunity to learn about roofing
- Conducting a feasibility study to determine whether the Alliance could help with industry data collection and dissemination
- Supporting updates to NRCA programs, including the EnergyWise calculator and four Roof Application Training Programs
In addition, the Alliance offers scholarships through the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program and helps people in need through its Helping Our Own program. Most recently, the Helping Our Own program raised more than $25,000 to help three roofing workers who were injured during the Boston Marathon tragedy.
Register now for free access
- Full access to every article
- Online Web exclusive information
- Photo gallery
- Breaking news
- Online classified ads