Founded in 1926, the private Sarasota Yacht Club is located on Florida's Sarasota Bay. Because of the property's easy access to the Gulf of Mexico, in 1943, the U.S. government leased the club's property for the duration of World War II for use as a U.S. Air Force Crash Boat Rescue Base. In January 1946, the club regained control of its property.
In 2002, the club initiated a major expansion and modernization of its marina. Dock extensions, electrical upgrades, a new pump-out station, new fuel and fire lines, and new security lighting established the club's position as the premier yacht club in the Sarasota area.
This year, a new 22,000-square-foot building replaced an on-grade structure that frequently bore the brunt of storms. Its roof system was constructed to Florida Building Code wind-uplift pressures of 130 mph. All Steel Consultants Inc., Palmetto, Fla., installed about 23,000 square feet of Petersen Aluminum Corp.'s PAC-CLAD Tite-Loc Plus Roofing Panels. The 16-inch-wide aluminum panels are finished in Cool Color Silver.
The new two-story building and roof system present a striking coastal contemporary presence on Sarasota's waterfront when passing over the John Ringling Causeway Bridge or from nearby Saint Armands Key.