In 1884, Richard Wetherill built a Gothic Revival-style home on the corner of 14th and Potter Streets in Chester, Pa. Considered a pioneer and integral to establishing the town as a major industrial center during the 19th century, Wetherill was known worldwide in the iron and steel industries. The Wetherill company's foundry and machine shop was one of the largest and most recognized shops in North America for manufacturing cable cars, elevator machinery, ship boilers and the Corliss steam engine.
Known then and now as The Castle, the building was acquired by Widener University, Chester, in 1967 and currently is used as a sorority residence hall. In 2016, Clarity Contractors, Mays Landing, N.J., was selected to evaluate The Castle's 132-year-old low- and steep-slope roof systems and make recommendations for repairs and/or replacement.
Evaluating the fortress
During May 2016, Clarity Contractors evaluated the overall condition of The Castle's roof areas.