Founded in 1810 as the Maidenhead Academy, The Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, N.J., has established itself as a leader in academic innovation. More than 800 students in grades 9-12 attend the college preparatory school whose mission is to inspire and educate promising young people from diverse backgrounds for responsible leadership, personal fulfillment and enthusiastic participation in the world.
In 1883, the school was transformed from a small proprietorial enterprise owned by each successive headmaster to being managed by the school's board of trustees. Renamed The Lawrenceville School, the institution established many traits for which the school currently is known, including its hallmark house system and an intense school spirit.
During the transition, the board asked landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of New York's Central Park, and Boston architects Peabody & Sterns to design the newly expanded grounds to create a strong community atmosphere. The result was the Circle—a landscaped circle in the center of the 700-acre campus surrounded by several residential houses for boarding students. In 1986, the Circle was recognized as a National Historic Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2008, The Lawrenceville School and Bregenzer Brothers Inc., Hopewell, N.J., mapped out a five-year plan to replace the slate and copper roof systems on 13 campus buildings, including all the buildings encompassing the Circle.