Reroofing the last frontier
Rain Proof Roofing restores the roof on Eareckson Air Station's Hangar 6 in Alaska
About 1,500 miles southwest of Anchorage, Alaska, at the western tip of the Aleutian Islands is Shemya Island. Only 2 miles wide and 4 miles long, the small island is owned by the U.S. government and under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as part of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge.
In 1943, the U.S. military established an air base on the island now known as Eareckson Air Station. Named for Col. William O. Eareckson, a squadron commander during World War II, in 1994, Eareckson Air Station was deactivated and now is operated by about 50 civilian contractors. The station currently serves as an early warning radar installation with a principal purpose of monitoring space and missile activities. Since 2002, the National Missile Defense program has been an active participant on the island.
In 2014, a storm damaged Shemya Hangar 6 and its roof system required replacement. Rain Proof Roofing Co., Anchorage, was contracted to remove and replace the hangar's 44,000-square-foot roof system.
Register now for free access
- Full access to every article
- Online Web exclusive information
- Photo gallery
- Breaking news
- Online classified ads