Part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge, La., St. George Catholic Church, Baton Rouge, was built in 1908 as a small wooden frame building. In 1960, a school was established at the site, and another facility was built to serve a dual purpose of a gymnasium and temporary church until a standalone church could be built.
Fifty-five years later, the church no longer could accommodate its 3,000 families, so church leaders hired GraceHebert Architects, Baton Rouge. According to GraceHebert Architects, it devised a plan to build a new church for the parish in a "welcoming and community oriented environment that would architecturally become a beacon for the Catholic faith community."
During 2015-16, a new 27,000-square-foot, $18 million church was constructed in the shape of a cross. The new church was built on a corner of the property and can seat 1,200 parishioners along with a new chapel for daily mass services that accommodates an additional 120 people.
Exterior courtyards were redesigned at the main and chapel entries to encourage community interaction. According to GraceHebert Architects: "The simple yet elegant design is a collage of transcendental Christian motifs veiled within the fabric of historical religious archetypes, the Gothic Arch."