October 2010

Rules of the road | Safe Solutions

Safe Solutions not ratednot ratednot ratednot ratednot rated

Rules of the road

Familiarize yourself with Department of Transportation regulations

by Harry Dietz
Be the first to comment

During roofing work, roofing contracting companies use a wide variety of motor vehicles to transport workers, materials and equipment to job sites. Depending on a project's nature and vehicles' sizes and contents, a roofing contractor's motor vehicles and the drivers he or she employs may be regulated by the Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

You likely are aware of most FMCSA regulations. However, some regulations may not be as well-known, and the consequences of noncompliance can be significant.

CDL requirements

A commercial driver's license (CDL) is a special license issued by individual states based on minimum FMCSA qualification standards that allows a driver to operate large trucks and buses. Drivers of certain commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) may obtain special endorsements to their CDLs by passing additional tests authorizing them, for example, to drive tanker vehicles or transport...

Web exclusive: Click below for more information.
Fines and penalties

To read the article in its entirety, please log in or register (registration is free).

Log in or register for FREE access to this article and other Professional Roofing online content.

Not a professionalroofing.net user?

Register now for free access
  • Full access to every article
  • Online Web exclusive information
  • Photo gallery
  • Breaking news
  • Online classified ads

Already a professionalroofing.net user?

Log in now

User name:



Login help
Click here to have your user name and password emailed to you.

Comments (0) Login to post a comment or rating
There are no comments posted.