Frank had worked as a foreman for Warner Roofing Co. for several
years. He took safety seriously and worked hard to ensure no one on
his crew suffered a serious injury.
One summer afternoon, Frank and his crew were installing asphalt
shingles on a residential, steep-slope roof. He and the crew had
discussed potential safety hazards, including falls and cuts, and
ways to avoid them. The workers had installed appropriate
fall-protection systems. They installed slide guards as work
platforms, and workers wore personal fall-arrest systems because
the roof slope was 9-in-12 (37 degrees). Additionally, Frank made
sure his workers wore proper personal protective equipment. Ladders
were set on firm ground at the proper ratio: 1 foot away from the
building for every 4 feet in eave height, extended 3 feet beyond
the eave and securely tied off.
The job required four roofing workers. Two workers were
operating compressed air nail guns to fasten the shingles. The
workers had been trained to operate the nail guns safely. Frank
also made sure the crew did not damage or put kinks in the hoses,
which could cause the nail guns to malfunction. He insisted the
workers hang the hoses over the house's ridge and toward the work
area to minimize tripping hazards and keep the hoses from tangling
with workers' lifelines.
When work was completed for the day, Frank and the crew tied in
the roof and began to pack up the tools and equipment. As the
workers were putting their nail guns away, one young worker, Ryan,
suddenly cried out in pain. Although he knew how to operate the
nail gun, he incorrectly had disconnected the air hose from the
nail gun, loosening the quick-release connection and not realizing
air remained in the hose. The force of the remaining air snapped
the connection-end of the hose out of his hands, and the hose
struck his head just...
To read the article in its entirety, please log in or register (registration is free).
Log in or register for FREE access to this article and other Professional Roofing online content.