Earlier this year, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) released fiscal
year 2012 statistics regarding employment discrimination charges filed with the
agency, according to www.vaclegal.com.
Following are some of the data released:
- The EEOC received 99,412 private sector workplace discrimination charges during
fiscal year 2012, which is down from nearly 100,000 charges in 2011.
- The most frequently filed claim in 2012 was retaliation with 37,836 filings, followed
by race discrimination with 33,512 filings and sex discrimination with 30,356 filings.
- EOCC obtained more than $365 million worth of monetary recoveries on behalf of discrimination
- The EEOC's mediation and conciliation program resolved 254 lawsuits for a total
monetary recovery of $44.2 million.
- The EOCC secured benefits for more than 23,446 people through its administrative
enforcement activitiesmediation, settlements, conciliations and withdrawals