International Corner

Foreign labor

Recently, NRCA has been receiving telephone calls from its contractor members regarding what they call "a new visa program for immigrant workers." The program to which they are referring is not new. In fact, the H-2 visa program, which was developed to bring workers to the United States to fill the temporary needs of employers, has been in existence since the 1950s. The program was split into two categories in the 1960s—H-2A for temporary agricultural workers and H-2B for temporary nonagricultural workers, such as roofing workers.

The following information answers questions about the H-2B program.

Visa classification

The H-2B visa classification gives U.S. employers the opportunity to hire nonimmigrants to perform temporary nonagricultural work in the United States. The work must be validated as one-time, seasonal, peak-load or intermittent.