On Oct. 14, 1887, Pomona College, Claremont, Calif., was incorporated by a group of Congregationalists who wanted to recreate "a college of the New England type" on the West Coast. The following year, the school began instruction and classes in a small rented house in the city of Pomona.
In 1889, an unfinished hotel with adjacent land in nearby Claremont was donated to the college. The school relocated to Claremont, but the Pomona College name remained. Four years later, the college awarded its first diplomas to the class of 1894.
During the 1920s, Pomona College President James A. Blaisdall created a consortium to expand the university, and during the next 75 years, two graduate schools and four undergraduate colleges joined Pomona College as members of The
Claremont Colleges. The school currently offers 48 majors and minors to 1,640 students on its 140-acre campus.