The Lincoln Train Station in Gettysburg, Pa., was built in 1858.
It has been a part of Civil War history, serving as a makeshift
hospital during the summer of 1863 and the arrival spot for Abraham
Lincoln when he came to deliver his famous Gettysburg Address. But
after going through an expansion in 1886, the station was used less
frequently. Its last passenger train passed through in 1942. By the
1990s, the building was in poor condition and needed to be
Several Gettysburg citizens formed a committee to find funding
and a new owner. Their efforts were rewarded when the current owner
donated the station to the Borough of Gettysburg. The federal and
state governments and community worked for years to raise money to
restore the railroad station to its previous glory and reopen it.
So when restoration began and the railroad station needed a new
roof system, it was important to find a contractor who would
respect the building's history and install a roof that would
resemble the original one.
John Milner Architects Inc., Chadds Ford, Pa., the architect for
the project, tore through the modern roofing material, which was
galvanized standing-seam metal, and found the roofing materials and
substrates from the 1858 original roof and 1880s addition. Some of
the galvanized standing-seam metal roof system was determined to be
installed around 1914, an estimation based on newspapers found
lying between the metal...
Log in or register for FREE access to this article and other Professional Roofing online content.