The Clifford Davis Federal Building, Memphis, Tenn., was
constructed in the 1970s and named for Clifford Davis, a politician
who served as a Memphis city judge from 1923-27, Memphis' vice
mayor and public safety commissioner from 1928-40, and a Democratic
U.S. representative from 1940-65.
On Jan. 31, 2007, H.R. 753 was introduced to redesignate the
building as the Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building to
honor Judge Odell Horton's significant contributions to Memphis'
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), which
constructs, manages and preserves government
buildings—including the Clifford Davis and Odell Horton
Federal Building—received $5.5 billion in funds from The
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which the GSA is
using to reduce energy consumption in its buildings, improve the
environmental performance of its real estate inventory, reduce its
backlog of repair and maintenance needs, and increase its overall
value. The Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building is one
of the buildings that received funding for repairs and renovations.
Part of these repairs included replacing the building's existing
APEX3 Construction, Mobile, Ala., the project's general
contractor, invited Jessie Bryant Roofing, Memphis, to submit a bid
To read the article in its entirety, please log in or register (registration is free).
Log in or register for FREE access to this article and other Professional Roofing online content.