May 2013

Being an additional insured

Being an additional insured not ratednot ratednot ratednot ratednot rated

There are certain circumstances that allow you to sue another party's insurance company

by Stephen M. Phillips
Be the first to comment

With construction work, it may not always be clear which party is responsible for paying damages following bodily injury or property damage. To help you in such cases, you should become familiar with the steps you can take to obtain recovery directly from insurance carriers for other parties whose negligence has caused bodily injury or property damage to you. There are several mechanisms that can be used for this purpose.

In the construction industry, the most common way to gain direct access to and coverage from another party's insurance policy is to become an additional insured. Becoming an additional insured is accomplished by a contractual provision in another party's liability insurance policy and an additional insured endorsement issued by the other party's insurance carrier.

Additional insured status

Currently, you invariably are required to name the owner, general contractor, architect, construction manager, property manager and others as additional insureds on your commercial general liability and other liability insurance policies. Similarly, you should require to be named an additional insured on the liability policies of your subcontractors,...

To read the article in its entirety, please log in or register (registration is free).

Log in or register for FREE access to this article and other Professional Roofing online content.

Not a user?

Register now for free access
  • Full access to every article
  • Online Web exclusive information
  • Photo gallery
  • Breaking news
  • Online classified ads

Already a user?

Log in now

User name:



Login help
Click here to have your user name and password emailed to you.

Comments (0) Login to post a comment or rating
There are no comments posted.