Solar energy statistics
During the past year, the U.S. Energy Information Administration released statistics involving solar energy use. Following are some of the data:
- The average solar panel size needed to power an average home is 600 square feet.
- The average cost of installing a 600-square-foot solar system is $55,000.
- The percentage of the Earth that would need to be covered with solar panels to power it is 0.0005 percent.
- Seventy-five million barrels of oil are saved annually by all solar energy users.
- Thirty-five million tonnes of carbon dioxide are saved annually by all solar energy users.
- Germany has the most installed solar energy, followed by Spain, Japan, the U.S. and Italy.
- In 2012, the Solar Energy Industries Association reported that Walmart is the top corporate solar power user, followed by Costco, Kohl's, IKEA and Macy's.
This Web exclusive information is a supplement to Time to jump on the bandwagon?.